Tuesday, November 13, 2012

October

Things have been moving along in our house, and before I knew it, October was over! But, at least it hasn't been months since my last post, so I'm making progress:)


I have really loved living in Cincinnati. And because of where we live now, we have chances like this to get together with SMC girls. Amy, Christine, and I met up with Janelle at her parents house (they literally live 5 minutes from us!) to watch the ND v. Standford game. It was a fabulous time. Her parents are just as sweet as ever and the kids all got along like no time had passed since they last saw each other:) There is nothing like getting together with college friends because it feels like family and no time has passed. Unfortunately, we had to leave before the exciting conclusion of the game because Avery had a cheerleading commitment, but what a win!

The kids had the greatest time together. We met up with Christine and Matt the next morning at their hotel so the kids could swim together for awhile. It was awesome sitting there watching our kids-who are roughly the same age-playing together. Avery still reminds me that we told her we'd go see Elizabeth again after the new baby comes-so look out, Christine (and Janelle), we'll be heading you're way!

Avery has been very into Notre Dame history/information. And she's actually trying to read this book by herself:) This girl is amazing me every day. She practically taught herself how to spell and read because she is so interested in it. She just turned 5 and I'd say she's already reading at a 1st grade level at least. It's pretty crazy what that little brain of hers can do!

We enjoyed our "Indian Summer" and were at the park a ton just soaking up the last bits of warmth for the year. Spencer really grew at the park climbing more and more things without having to have me help him. He's really been getting independent since starting school-however, school has also introduced us to some behavioral issues that we hadn't had to deal with him before. I guess that's part of school, but it's been frustrating and some of the behavior a bit alarming. Every time we ask where he's heard a certain thing he repeats or an action he does he tells us it's a certain boy in his class, but when I ask his teacher she knows of nothing. Ugh. The perils of preschool. 

Miss Avery is not really shy at all. This was her pose that she insisted I take a picture of. She had climbed to the top of this big rock at the park and then positioned herself like this:) Artie and I keep telling her to slow down, she's getting too big too fast. But, like the educated 5-year-old she is, she tells us that it's not possible to slow down, it just happens.

Jake and Izzy from Jake and the Neverland Pirates showed up during Halloween this year. Spencer was really into dressing up and thankfully wore his Jake wig a lot better than he did for his Jake makeover at Disney World earlier this year! Sadly, Avery was allergic to her Izzy wig-she's developed an allergy to everything these days it seems. But, the kids were excited to sport their costumes for their party at school!

I was lucky enough to chaperone their Halloween party and I got to have both Avery and Spencer in my group for the morning. I have really enjoyed that they're only one grade apart. They go to a smaller preschool this year and so the classes usually combine for parties. I love getting to see them with their classmates and in their classrooms. I hope I'm always going to like them being so close in school-age. It will get difficult when they're at different schools to get them there and picked up on time, but when they're in the same building, it's very nice!

I've been making lots of trips back to Fort Wayne to prepare for my brother's wedding. We've been attending showers and doing dress fittings and getting suits sized...it's been a lot of extra traveling, but the big day is only 17 days away now and it's so worth it to get to see my family so much-especially Jake who has been traveling from his base in Tennessee a lot too. 

We got to trick-or-treat with Avery's best friend, Ella. She and Ella met as a couple of three-year-olds in preschool and now, they don't even go to school together anymore, but we still are able to get together with them because the girls are such great friends. It is so amazing to see my daughter make such a great friendship at such a young age. Spencer and Ella's sister, Linley, have become pretty good friends as well. We just love this family and it' s nice to have this when you're pretty new to a city where you don't know many people!

Avery decided this year that, after 2 years of ballet and tap, she wanted to try something different than dance. So, she landed on cheerleading. She had seen a competition on TV and wanted to try it. So, after researching local gyms, I found one that had a team for 5-yr-olds. She absolutely loves it. I have to say though it's a lot on the parents! We just had our first competition and it was quite the experience.

We went to Americheer in Columbus where it was a first experience for a lot of the kids on the team. I have to say I was practically drawn to tears with the chaos. They whisked Avery away and didn't tell us what to expect and I was pretty much panicked because I didn't know where my daughter was or when I'd get her back. It was a bit frightening because there are cheerleaders and people all over the place. But, we weathered the experience and now I know a little more about what to expect. Still not sure I'm liking it, but I'm trying for Avery:) The actual performing is sweet to see, but getting there is a bit much for me to handle-with Avery at such a young age. But we'll see if she decides to do it next year too. She's been taking tumbling to try out for a higher team next season since she'll be 6 so we'll see if she's able to develop the necessary skills to make a higher team. All-star cheerlieading is no joke, I'll say that! 

Another benefit of having the kids together at school, this sweet picture! They let sibling have pictures together for school picture day and they were able to capture this-one of Spencer's better smiles:) It has been a little hard for me to let go, especially knowing I cannot have any more kids, but I'm trying to enjoy every minute because the time is going so quickly, I don't want to miss anything:)

Avery has gotten big enough to start walking Ace. She loves the responsibility of walking "her dog" and it does help not having to walk 2 at a time:)

Finally, Avery turned 5 and was able to climb the rock wall at our community center. She couldn't wait to reach the age limit and then when she did, this was about as far as she got:) It was definitely a different rock wall from the ones at the park, but she wants to keep trying!

We're getting ready to leave in a week for Jake's wedding. It will be nice to be home for Thanksgiving and not have to rush back and get a whole week before the wedding to see everyone in Fort Wayne and just hang out with my siblings before my little brother is a married man. Makes me feel so old! Jake was 9 when I started college and now he's old enough to get married. I just can't believe how fast time is moving. 

I'm going to end this post with a huge GO IRISH! because not since my senior year at SMC did the team having a better season than this:) It's just awesome to see-though some of those games have been too nerve-racking! 10-0.


4 comments:

Christine:) said...

We loved reading this post all together! Elizabeth and Jake were really excited to see themselves with your kids..and E LOVES Avery's cheerleading outfit. Their school pic is so cute:) Can't wait to see you guys hopefully soon!! And good luck with preschool....lol- our kids pick up stuff like that occasionally just being around other kids playing.
Love,
C:)

Katie said...

yeah for posts! Sorry I didn't realize you had gotten some back up- I feel you on the busy-ness and having time to get to blogging! Your kids are getting so big too- it's crazy! I have to say you are a better woman than me- not sure I could handle the cheerleading thing!

Love the kids Halloween costumes!

A bit jealous you live so close to some SMC ladies so you actually get to see one another- I definitely miss that!

Carol said...

I love the school pic! Emma definitely picks up on (probably a lot) bad behavior at daycare! Ugh. Good to see you blogging again. Have fun in Ft. Wayne. Take care!

Megs said...

Love all the pics Steph. I am glad that Avery is finding her nitch and trying new things:) I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving- can't wait to see pics of your brother's wedding!